Well its the second day of the challenge. So far so good. I been eating healthy and doing some sort of physical activity every day. I am doing a yoga class tonight to help me relax and destress from a long day of work. Today's post will be about digestion and why its important for overall health. Our health starts in our stomach. If you feel tired, have bad skin, are aging too fast, etc, its all because of your digestion.
Our digestion gives us the ability to break down our food and have nutrients transferred into our cells which in turn gives us energy and improves our immune system.
I have pretty good digestion especially since I took out grains and dairy. Both of these foods were making my stomach bloated and making me tired.
Its also important to know which foods to pair with what for the best absoption of vitamins and minerals. Here is a great article on food pairing - http://kimberlysnyder.com/blog/2015/06/25/the-beauty-food-pairing-cheat-sheet-infographic/
In the morning, I have started drinking water before breakfast sometimes with a half lemon. This combination starts working your digestion and gives you energy to start off your day. I wait about an hour till I eat my breakfast which is usually green smoothie or acai bowl.
Here are some tips for healthy digestion:
1. Don't eat breakfast right away when you get up. Wait at least 30 to 1 hour till you have your breakfast. You can just have some water with lemon.
2. Chew your food - take at least 30 minutes or more to eat your food and slowly.
3. Don't eat every couple of hours - I keep reading about eating 5 or 6 times a day (I was guilty of this and my digestion was so messed up) - now I just eat every 4 hours - breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner. This gives my digestion a break and can break down my food that I have eaten.
4. Eat tons of fiber foods
5. Limit dairy - eating dairy does not help your digestion at all.
6. Limit or eliminate meat - I have not eaten meat for about 10 years and I don't miss it. Meat takes a very long time to digest. For example, if you eat meat for a meal, it will take about 4 to 5 hours to digest where if you ate a vegetarian meal it would take about 30 minutes to digest.
7. Drink water - drink water but not with meals.
8. Exercise - yoga and walking are the best
9. Eat probiotics - eating probiotics help you with good bacteria in your stomach. My favorite types of probiotics are sauerkraut, kimchi, and kombucha.
10. Manage stress - stress causes a lot of health issues but it will definitely mess with your digestion.
Hope you have found these tips helpful. Now I am off to my yoga class😃